Friday, August 15, 2014

The Vivekean Version of the Prodigal Son

(An Extract from Indians in Pakistan, the Action Thriller on terrorism)

‘It was all my fault,’ I said frankly. ‘I was blind then but now I see the truth. You were right and I was wrong.’
‘Mother would have been happy to see you,’ he told me, sadly. ‘Too bad she’s not around.’
‘Wh - where is she?’ I asked, looking around frantically for her.
‘It’s too late,’ he said. ‘She’s no longer in this world.’
‘Mother, mother,’ I continued, not heeding him. ‘Mother where are you?’
‘She’s dead, dear brother. She’s in heaven now.’
‘No, it cannot be. She cannot die! I need to tell her how much I love her. I need to tell her how sorry I am for walking away. I wanted to introduce her to Najma, my wife. I wanted to - ’

Words failed me at that moment and I sank to my knees. There were plenty of kind words from everyone around but there was nothing that could console me – not even the beautiful hands of Najma wrapped around my neck. I was truly inconsolable.

Visit the Fan Page of this exciting novel at https://www.facebook.com/IndiansInPakistan

Read the preview at
http://pothi.com/pothi/book/vivek-pereira-indians-pakistan

3 comments :

  1. I am posting this excerpt again because of popular demand. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were tears in my eyes when I read these words the first time. I still get emotional and when one reads the book, the emotional impact is even greater. #TooGood

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didnt get emotional when I read these words. Does that mean I am stonehearted? Emotions lie in the soul of the beholder..yackety yak.

    ReplyDelete

Post sensibly